Saturday, June 12, 2010

Pride

Pride means a lot of things to a lot of people. The roaring sound of a stadium crowd, the right to marry the one you love...

Today I watched a bit of the World Cup, and call me mushy but I teared up a bit at all the national pride, especially when I saw a tear in the eye of more than a few Team USA players when they played the national anthem. I'm a sucker for a good sports story; Remember the Titans gets me every time. Definitely proud of the boys in blue! I don't know much about soccer, but I do know that it's a big deal to even tie the lion that is England. I wonder if the outcome would have been the same if they had had Becks on the field. Either way, I don't think a loss would have fazed the fierce support of the 8,000 Americans there.

On another note, my first weekend in DC was a success! A get-together on a rooftop terrace on Capitol Hill and dancing at the Hawk n Dove last night, and "Capitol Pride" festivities tonight. The Hawk n Dove was interesting; it's an old pub on the bottom and a dance club up top. I still prefer my city to the DC scene though - maybe I'm just not going to the right places. Suggestions are appreciated!

What to say about the gay pride parade? Let's just say that 1 million gays in the street = a ballin' party! Met up with some friends and saw probably more than I wanted to see. My favorite was the "DC Boys in Leather." Yeah, it's exactly what you think. But back to the pride theme. Almost teared up again when some DC cops and veterans walked by holding hands with their "others." The police force and the military are two of the most difficult jobs for openly gay people, yet these people were not afraid to let it be known. Crazy parade antics aside, the point of the parade was solid.

Another funny thing about pride is that it often comes with a uniform. A military uniform, a sports jersey, a rainbow T-shirt, it's all basically the same. You wear the uniform to show your pride. You literally wear it on your sleeve. (or your crotch, as I witnessed today) So be careful what you project; people will applaud you or judge you for it (i'm looking at you, Jesse James) TA: What does pride mean to you?

Quote of the Day: "I'd like to Marie his Antoinette!"

No comments:

Post a Comment